Here is a recipe for an amazing drink that I learned to prepare while studying Ayurveda in India. You can have 8oz in the mornings on empty stomach to help support the health of the digestive system and of the blood vessels.
Ingredients (serves 8-10 people)
1 liter of cold water
1 medium leaf of aloe vera
3 small lemons
½ cup of honey
1 cup of mint leaves
1. Take the aloe vera and mint leaves and wash thoroughly.
2. Cut the sides of the aloe vera leaf where the spikes are and remove the skin of one side.
3. With a spoon, remove the pulp and place on a plate. Add water to the plate and let it sit for a few minutes.
4. Cut the lemons and squeeze the juice of the 3 lemons and add to blender.
5. Discard the water of the aloe vera and add the aloe vera pulp, the 1 liter cold water and honey into the blender.
6. Blend, serve and add the mint leaves. Enjoy!
Aloe vera- Among its benefits, aloe vera in high doses can be used as a purgative to removes toxins from the body, reduce fat and treat obesity (Sai 2014). Aloe reduces the formation of fat, thus, it supports the health of the blood vessels. Aloe vera juice helps digestion, normalizes acid/alkaline and pH balance, lessens yeast formation, encourages digestive bacteria and regularizes bowel processing. (Axe 2018).
Lemons- A good source of vitamin C which may help lower blood pressure and may help in cardiovascular diseases. It is also antioxidant, thus, it helps fight free radicals and oxidation, reducing the opportunities for low density lipoprotein to oxidized and accumulate in blood vessels.
Honey- According to Ayurveda, honey is easily digested and assimilated; it is the best sweet food, as it does not cause flatulence and can prevent it to a certain extent, promoting the activity of the bowels. It can be easily added to the five meals a day, and the texts of ayurveda recommended it in cases of arteriosclerosis and weak hearts (Maharishi Ayurveda). Ayurveda considers honey as having a “lekhana” effect, lekhana is the action of drying and scraping impurities and excess fat. Thus, it is believed it helps keep the blood vessels clear and in good health.